Monday, March 9, 2015

Conflict Resolution

The most interesting concept that we have covered is that there are direct benefits to conflict. I have always been a conflict avoider because I do not like to step on people's toes and have always worried that addressing the conflict will lead to more conflict. That has been an intrinsic trait of mine for as long as I can remember. Learning in class that addressing conflict with tact and diplomacy has allowed me to look back throughout my life and think about the times where I have addressed conflict and examine the outcome from an outsider's perspective. I can see now where addressing conflict in a way that stated my opinion of the situation without belittling the other person has actually resulted in earning the respect of the other person in regards to the conflict. One example that comes to mind is mustering up the gumption to discuss politics with my parents who are cut from completely different cloths in that regard.

The other side that I have also analyzed is to consider how I may have dealt with conflict differently throughout my life by confronting it with compassion rather than avoiding it altogether. Not dealing with problems does not make them disappear and only serves to allow both parties to stew over the conflict catalyst. As we all journey into the great unknown that is life, it will always be an asset to have an understanding of how to deal with inevitable conflict with others.

My favorite example from class was Margie's Dare to Disagree. All of the employees were afraid of the impending conflict that would have arisen if they expressed their concerns with the faulty medical contraption. Everybody had similar discrepancies but nobody wanted to blow the whistle. Lives were saved as a result of addressing the issue. This may not be the case for all interpersonal conflict, but all of the parties were feeling the tension and eager to come to a resolution once the issue was confronted.

My woo-woo two cents on the subject of conflict is that humans are a lot like atoms. We're all floating around bumping into one another and sometimes we meet others that we share bonds with, other times we repel one another because the charges just aren't right. Even with those that fill our outer shell just right, the charges aren't always going to be. Conflict is inevitable so we have to learn to confront it in thoughtful and meaningful ways, no matter if they are our covalent buddies or our polar opposites.

No comments:

Post a Comment